Communicatio's Creator

Communicatio's Creator
Tricia Aguirre

Friday, October 3, 2014

Grasha-Riechmann Teaching and Learning Styles

The last surveys I had the pleasure of taking were the Grasha-Riechmann Teaching and Learning Style Surveys. 

My Learning Style results were as follows:

Independent     4.2
Avoidant          2
Collaborative   4.6
Dependent       4.2
Competitive     2.8
Participant       3.9

Thus, I am very collaborative as a learner with equal parts dependence and independence.  I would like to think that this makes me very adaptable to most learning situations and therefore able to understand how many students are learning.  I may have some trouble with avoidant learners though.  I do not seem to be very competitive either....but competition is a learning style that may appeal to many students, so I will find a way to incorporate that into my lesson creation in the future. 

My Teaching Style results were as follows:

Expert                    3.625
Formal Authority   4.25
Personal Model      4
Facilitator               4.75
Delegator                4

According to these results, I function, or see myself functioning most, as a facilitator and a formal authority.  As stated in this article, facilitators emphasize the personal nature of teacher-student interactions.  This type of teacher guides and consults with students.  The drawback, however, is that this style of teaching can be time consuming and ineffective, especially when a more direct approach could be used.  I'll have to watch out for this.  Formal authorities focus on clear expectations and acceptable ways of doing things.  This can lead to the teacher dealing with the students in a rigid, standardized way, however.  It seems like a combination of these two styles, facilitator and formal authority, will help me help my students be successful.  I will be rigid, but not so rigid that I can't build strong teacher-student relationships. 

Based on these surveys, I should be able to give the students boundaries while supporting them in their academic endeavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment